A Brief History of St John's Church
St John’s was a flourishing town centre parish church, and benefitted, as did most of Stamford’s churches, from the medieval wool trade which brought wealth to many of its congregation. The earliest church on the site was probably in existence by 1220 but the present building of Perpendicular style dates from 1451, and has barely altered since, apart from some re-ordering following the Reformation, and the installation some 170 years ago of the low wooden benches with their amazingly detailed ends depicting serpents, dragons and lions, modelled on medieval pew carvings found in Norfolk. The glory of the church is probably the wonderful angel roof, where some 30 different carved wooden figures gaze down. Some fine medieval glass remains in the windows, and has been joined by striking Victorian and Edwardian designs, which fill the church with colour.
Since 2003 the building has been in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust, repaired and conserved, and now open every day so that it may be enjoyed by parishioners, the wider Stamford community, and many thousands of visitors to the town each year. Occasional services are conducted here.